This week I was mostly exploring SynBio DevOps for a blog post I wrote.
Image Courtesy of Synthace
I read a lot of articles while writing some blog posts. Here are the key ones.
Biodefense in the Age of Synthetic Biology I read this while writing my SynBio Devops blog post. I wish I’d seen it earlier because it would have saved me a lot of work. I intend to go back and write a blog post to summarize its contents.
Biology is Eating the World: A Manifesto: a16z (Andreessen Horowitz). “drug discovery and development will move from a bespoke to an iterative process”
Translational Medicine The goal of TM is to combine disciplines, resources, expertise, and techniques within these pillars to promote enhancements in prevention, diagnosis, and therapies. Accordingly, translational medicine is a highly interdisciplinary field, the primary goal of which is to coalesce assets of various natures within the individual pillars in order to improve the global healthcare system significantly
Go+: The Go+ language for engineering, STEM education, and data science.
- For engineering: working in the simplest language that can be mastered by children.
- For STEM education: studying an engineering language that can be used to work in the future.
- For data science: communicating with engineers in the same language.
”Deep Learning with Python”, Francois Chollet, Second Edition
”The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race”. I read it and now I have the twins reading it. Also available as audio book.
Ginkgo Ferment 2021 Videos just got posted. Website says it was in Oct. Was it a COVID event time warp? Its in person.
Video 1 Ginkgo Ferment 2021: Developing the Next Wave of Products with Synthetic Biology. Announced Jake Wintermute as developer evangelist. I followed him in Twitter a while back and thought it was a cool handle, but its his actual name. And he really does live in Paris, France.
- GEN: Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News I signed up for a free newsletter.
- ChemPartner: Life Science CRO/CDMO. China.
- Science Exchange: Marketplace lets you source, order and pay for 3,500+ scientific services providers.
- OpenTrons: Open source lab automation hardware and software. Python API.
- Opentrons OT2 Liquid Handler Robot Video. Get ready to shake your booty cause that soundtrack is funkier that it needs to be.
- Atomwise: “developed a machine learning-based discovery engine that combines the power of convolutional neural networks with massive chemical libraries to discover new small molecule medicines.”
- IT: Terraform/Ansible. Python. Docker. AWS.
Synthace: Design of Experiments Masterclass For Biology
- Synthace is one of my favorite Cloud Bio Labs play. This masterclass is focused on helping lab biologist transition to it. 3 Sessions. Session 1: Starts January 25th 2022.
- Design of Experiments (DOE) is a systematic method of investigating the relationship between multiple factors and their impact on the process simultaneously.
- It is the key to understanding the ever-increasing complexity of biological experiments, and has the potential to transform biological research.
MIT Intro to Deep Learning | 6.S191
These Acronyms are all courtesy of ChemPartner.com
- CRO: Contract Research Organization
- CDMO: Contract Development & Manufacturing Organisation
- CMO: Contract Manufacturing Org
- CTD: “for regulatory filings”
- IND: IND filing
- NDA: In this context, I don’t think this is a Non Disclosure Agreement.
Things I ran across and thought “Oh yeah, I need to look into that sometime, but not now.”
- Google DeepMind, AlphaFold2
- Insitro, Insilico Medicine
- Craig Venter Institue
- ETH Zurich. Caulobacter ethensis 2.0
- Jared Friedman, YC (Y Combinator)
- Ginkgo Ferment Partner Presenters